My Summer Freshness Watermelon Radish and Asparagus Salad – An Ayurvedic Recipe
Asparagus is a great source of fiber, vitamin A, C and K which will boost your digestive tract in no time. It is high in nutrients and low in calories, perfect for feeling full and healthy.
Watermelon Radish is a part of the radish family and does not actually taste like a watermelon. You are bound to feel a boost of energy after eating this because of its richness in magnesium, Vitamin A and C, potassium and calcium.
As we are in the peak of summertime, I am sharing a quick and easy recipe that will make you feel energized and cool on a hot day.
Watermelon Radish and Asparagus Salad
- 1 bunch Asparagus – chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 medium Watermelon radish – chopped into half moons
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Juice of ½ fresh lime
- ¼ tsp of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Prepare a bowl of ice water for the vegetables. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add salt to the taste of the ocean.
- Once the water is boiling, add the asparagus and cook for 4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon and transfer the asparagus to the ice bowl for 10 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and let rest in a bowl.
- Repeat with the watermelon radish, cooking for 5-7 minutes or until tender.
- Now your vegetables are cooked and waiting in the bowl. Add the mint.
- In a separate bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients to form a dressing. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Pour over the vegetables and toss.
- Enjoy cool
Do you know your Ayurvedic Dosha (mind-body type)? Check out the substitute ingredients below:
Vata/Airy digestion – sub golden beets and add 1 tsp fresh grated ginger.
Pitta/Fiery digestion – radishes may be too pungent for you if you are feeling fiery. Sub golden beets or green beans. Additionally add 1 tsp of maple syrup to the dressing.
Kapha/slow digestion – these vegetables suite you well, but add 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
Want to discover more Ayurvedic recipes for different seasons? Connect with me on the ASHAexperience platform so I can virtually meet you for a personalized cooking session using your favorite ingredients!.